For your child to settle into school as quickly as possible, it helps to have the correct equipment for the various subjects. Our Code of Conduct makes it very clear that we expect our pupils to ‘be READY’ which includes having the right equipment.
We would encourage all pupils to have the following equipment to ensure they are ready to learn in September.
- Hand sanitiser – while we have hand sanitiser points around the school, including in
- classrooms, we would recommend pupils also carry their own
- Tissues and anti-bacterial wipes
- Face covering
- a waterproof bag to carry books and equipment
- pencil case
- a selection of pens in blue, black, and green as well as highlighters
- 15cm/30cm ruler
- pencil sharpener
- colour pencils
- Oxford Mini Dictionary and Thesaurus
- metal compass
- scientific calculator (e.g. Casio FX -85GTPLUS)
- A3 project bag
- A4 display book
- sketch book
- water colours
- sketching pencil
- paint brushes
Access to Technology
School closures and self-isolation have exposed the importance of students being able to access computers and wi-fi at home. The very rapid switch we have made to online learning platforms such as Google Classroom will mean that a blended learning approach to education will now become a normal feature of home learning.
A survey we conducted of parents/carers in May/June 2020 revealed that most of our families have access to reliable wi-fi and appropriate computers and devices at home. We would encourage all families to consider whether each school-aged child has access to an appropriate device and wi-fi network to help with home-based learning.
We would recommend the following as the kind of specification that would be required as a minimum for a student to access the cloud-based software (such as Google Classroom) typically used by the school.
- Processor - AMD A4/Intel-I3 1.6GHz
- RAM - 4 GB
- Storage - 16 GB (16 GB is useful for a Chromebook with few apps downloaded. if the user wants to download apps from the google play store then it may be a good idea to go for 32 GB)
- Display - 11.6"
For example (price range of £200-£280) the:
- HP 11-v051na 11.6" Chromebook - Intel® Celeron™, 16 GB eMMC
- ASUS Chromebook C223, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 11.6"
- Lenovo Flex 3 Chromebook Laptop, Intel Celeron Processor, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 11.6"