Head of Faculty
We believe in the power of literature and language to provide opportunities for young people to visit worlds beyond their own, and to shed light on the one in which they already live.
- To read and understand; to assimilate; to interpret
- To hone skills of empathy
- To articulate one’s views and perception of the world around us
- To debate and join existing debates on subjects of significance in our community and the wider world
- To understand the value of language in cognition
- To consider anything a writer does on purpose to shape meaning (language/structure/form/characterisation)
- To consider genre, its conventions and divergence from those conventions
- To consider how personal, social, historical, cultural, political, economic contexts (and more) shape writing
- To have a conceptual understanding of English
- To write for varying purposes, audiences and in different forms for effect
- To write accurately, with secure spelling, punctuation and grammar, to enable clear communication with the world around us
Who is the reader and what do they know?
What motivates people to write?
Why do writers choose the forms and structures they do?
How do writers comment on their times and places using allegorical characters?
How do writers use and manipulate genre conventions to say something about the world?
What are writers' conscious and unconscious messages in texts?
See the documents at the bottom of this website page.
English on Youtube
We are continually adding to our bank of online resources for students to use. Subscribe, watch and listen, then annotate away.
All useful information is available on this page to make key information readily accessible. Exam specifications we follow are detailed below. Clicking on the links will enable you to find past papers and mark schemes, which, if practised, are typically a key element to success.
GCSE English Language (AQA)
GCSE ENGLISH LITERATURE (AQA)
A LEVEL ENGLISH LITERATURE B (AQA)
|Year 10/11 (KS4) English curriculum rationales||31st Aug 2020||Download|
|Gcse english language Paper 1 Revision document||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|Covid Curriculum||21st Apr 2021||Download|
|Year 6 Reading List||21st Apr 2021||Download|
|Gcse english language Paper 2 revision||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|Gcse english literature revision||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|English Literature revision quiz||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|World class cheat sheet||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|Literary terms cheat sheet||16th Nov 2020||Download|
|KS3 Unit Objectives||01st Oct 2021||Download|
|KS3 Long Term Plan||01st Oct 2021||Download|
|English KS3 Assessment Policy||01st Oct 2021||Download|